Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th!

Well, here it is, Friday, the 13th! I don't know about you but Friday the 13th has always been a rather lucky day for me rather than unlucky! Point in fact: today is sunny and warm! lol It's a beautiful day outside and I am wondering what I am doing here inside, on the computer! As soon as I post this, I am out of here! :o)

Wikipedia says that here in Holland, according to a study done in 2008, "fewer accidents and reports of fire and theft occur when the 13th of the month falls on a Friday than on other Fridays, because people are preventatively more careful or just stay home." It goes on to say that driving is safer on Friday the 13th, at least here in Holland. It's funny really, because I consider Holland to be a pretty safe place for driving! Granted, there are always traffic jams! I swear there are more cars than people sometimes! However, you just don't see the pile-ups on the roads like you do in the States. They do have them on occasion, don't get me wrong, but you just don't see a lot of accidents on the highways here. When my Dad was here last year he even commented on how considerate drivers were here.
I think not being allowed to even take driving lessons until you are 18 makes a big difference! They take private lessons and then go for their exam and I swear, no one passes on the first try! (I think this is a way to get more money though as opposed to doing things wrong! JMHO!)
I honestly feel kids of 16 are just too young for that much responsibility! They are talking about lowering the age for driving here and I pray they don't do it! In their quest to be just like the States, they don't take into consideration the bad that comes with all the good. I like Holland just like it is and if I wanted to live in a country just like the States, I would have stayed there to begin with! Now before you think I am down on the States, I'm not! I am proud to be an American! I just feel America has lost her way in so many things and it is nice to be in a country where I have some peace of mind. There is good and bad everywhere though.

So, is Friday the 13th a good or bad day for you? Sound off! (PS If this day is bad for you, be warned! We get another one in November!)

Today, since it is so beautiful outside, I decided on another flower postcard. I believe these are a Rudbeckia, are they not? We have some gardeners here so maybe they can tell me for sure!
I snapped this photo while in Urk, a little fishing village we stopped in while on a weekend getaway last year. I just thought they were pretty and they made me smile to see them so I took a photo of them!


Link has been removed

Well, I hope today is sunny and warm for you, wherever you are! Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by! I will try to have some cake for you next time you come! :o)

3 comments:

Sherry Out Loud said...

Hello, my name is DUH, what's yours? Sheesh, I don't think I knew you were back with the blog, or if I was having problems making Mediafire work (it works just fine today), or if it is just another manifestion of CFS - which stands for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - which is very like CRS - which stands for Can't Remember S**t!!! Anyway, just go on like you were, I'll catch up somewhere and somehow. I did download all the cards I missed, so that gives me a lot more to play with!

Deborah said...

I love Friday the 13th, but then it was also the day I was born (in May). So I have no problems with that day at all. Love your new flowers. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Another beautiful card, thank you! Yes it is Rudbeckia, there are around 30 different varieties.