Saturday, March 14, 2009

March 14 - Cake anyone?

Happy Saturday!!!
It's another sunny day here although my daughter tells me she heard it was going to rain today but that the sun was supposed to come back out again after. I can live with that! Just keep that sun coming!

A friend and I were talking about the weather here in Holland. She is a transplant, like I am, but she comes from Canada. We were wondering how it is that more Dutch people don't have depression, especially in the winter months. Holland is so gray and dreary all winter long. There is no snow to reflect what little light you do have. We think they must put an anti-depressant right into the water in the winter. lol How else do you survive the long, gray days?
Seriously though, winters can be long here with all the gray days even if the temperature is mild for the most part.
Do you or someone you know suffer from winter depression?

Ok, well yesterday, I believe I said I would have cake for those of you who stop by to visit. Well, here it is! :o) Another photo from our weekend getaway last year. I just love the baked goods here in Holland. They are always so fancy and oh so good! It amazes me that Dutch people are so dang skinny (like reeds!) when they have so many wonderful, tasty baked goods to choose from. Eating a sweet at about 8pm is pretty normal here. Now mind you, they don't eat sweets like this every night! lol Coffee and a treat at 8pm though is normal. (Same thing at 10 or 10:30am. Break time for coffee and a snack)
The bakeries and stores are just loaded with goodies to tempt you and it is so hard to choose just one! If you ever come to Holland, be sure to try the baked goods. They are so worth the extra pound or two!

I thought today's postcard would be cute as an invite to a party or a cup of coffee and a chat. Are you hungry yet? :o) I am so I think I will go get some breakfast! Enjoy the postcard!


Link has been removed

Thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful Saturday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cake looks delicious...yum.
Being marrried to a Dutchman I know coffee and cake is a big part of their life....well it was when his mother was still alive. He doesn't bother too much for it now.
Thanks for the postcard.

Unknown said...

Mmmm, now I want cake, lol! Unfortunately I only have pie. Mind you, it's a raspberry peach pie, and VERY yummy! Thanks for another delicious postcard! I do suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) I get depressed starting in November, usually until March. It's lasting a little longer this year, because of all the snowy days we've had lately. But the longer days are helping, so it won't be long before i'm back to normal. Well, as normal as I ever am!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 15 Mar [LA 12:32am, NY 02:32am, UK 07:32am, OZ 06:32pm] ).