Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday - March 15

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope it has been a good one for you!
We got some more sun here today and this evening, I was outside after dark and the sky was so clear you could see the stars! That doesn't happen very often where we live. It was so nice to just sit and look at them! :o)

Yesterday it did rain like the weatherman said it would but the sun never really came back out like he said! Well, it did show up just in time to go down, literally!

We ran out to the big garden yesterday to get the wheel barrow so a neighbor could borrow it. I was so happy to see the garden has been plowed finally!!! Yea!!! Now we just need some more good weather so it can be rototilled since it is just big chunks right now. I am really getting antsy now but with the garden plowed, it is much closer to being time to plant! :o)

The plants I started inside are growing great! I have 15 lettuce growing like crazy. I planted 3 different kinds; Buttercrunch, Iceberg and Lollo Bionda. I have several types of leaf lettuce seeds as well but those I will just seed directly in the garden.
I am experimenting a bit with some of the lettuce. I took 3 big containers, not huge ones but about 6" deep and probably the same across, and planted some Buttercrunch in them. So far, they are doing fabulous! I wonder if I will be able to grow them to adulthood (lol) in those containers. We will see! I am trying to grow as much as possible in containers here at the house to see how much I can actually get out of this small garden. Between the containers and the square foot gardening, if I can get enough veggies to put up for the winter then I may give up the big garden. I love the big garden but because it is elsewhere, it can be a pain to get there and hubby hates going to the garden! I have really been trying to work out what to plant in the spring and what to plant when the spring crops are done. I am a big fan and believer of companion planting so with a smaller area, I have to take those things into consideration as well.
I am also thinking about if I keep the big garden and use it for the potatoes, pumpkins, cucumbers, melons, corn, onions etc.; all the big crops, then I can use my back garden here for the smaller crops like carrots, beets, etc and of course, my tomatoes and peppers. Unless you have a greenhouse at the big garden (which I don't), it's almost impossible to grow tomatoes and peppers because it is so dry and windy out there. Like I said, we are out in the middle of farm land with nothing around us.
Anyway, so much to think about for the gardens and now it is almost time to start planting!!! :o)
I will try to take photos this year and keep you all updated as it grows!

Ok, enough about the weather and the gardens! Time for today's postcard! By now, you probably know I love birds! It doesn't matter what kind, I love them all! Well, today's postcard is of a bird, a seagull, that I caught on camera while at the Efteling last year. He posed so nicely for me and I got a gazillion photos of him and his feathered friends! This is just one of those photos.



Link has been removed

Well, I am running late and it is already after midnight here so I better close for now and carry my butt to bed! Thank you for stopping by! See you again tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be careful about the other websites you see claiming to let you download The Queen of Versailles for free. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]mulberry outlet[/url Therefore, it's the plan that you will use to guide the project as you move forward into execution.". [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose expedition[/url] Ragbjvkhc
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora Sale[/url] Qijfsuunk [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose jacket sale[/url] nrjwjsocl