Friday, March 27, 2009

March 27 - Easter Eggs

Good morning! :o)
I am getting my ducks all in a row today and starting off with posting my blog!

It is a bright, sunny day here today so I am cheerful! It is so wonderful to see the sun! I hope the weather is good by all of you!

I was thinking what kind of a postcard to make today. I needed a break from the flowers and I'm sure you all did as well. I thought, with Easter coming, why not a few postcards that could be sent for that? Today's postcard is of foil covered chocolate eggs. I scanned these last year from a bag of eggs we bought at the candy store. Aren't they beautiful? :o)
The kids are grown now and Easter baskets are a thing of the past but I still enjoy decorating a bit and of course, buying some chocolate to have around for munching!

Here in Holland, it is normal to put up a "tree" for Easter. It is essentially just some willow branches, that may or may not have leaves on them. You stick a few of those in a vase and decorate with little ornaments. I am quite taken with the Easter trees and enjoy setting one up every year.
I have a massive spiral willow in my back yard from branches I got one of the first Easters I was here. After Easter I planted them and it has turned into a beautiful tree! When I planted them, I had no idea they would grow into a willow. I planted 3 branches together! Guess what? I got 3 trees in one spot! lol We cut down 2 of them last year and the other one is growing beautifully! It gives us beautiful shade each year in the back of the garden/backyard.
What can I say? The branches grew roots while it was an Easter tree. I just HAD to plant them! lol

We never have a formal Easter dinner here but I try to get a ham. The hams here are quite small! More like a small rolled rump roast. Some years I would kill to have a good ham shank! I miss having the leftover bone and ham to make split pea soup! Ah well, you learn to make do with what you have! :o) I usually make mashed potatoes and gravy, carrots, Brussels sprouts, dinner rolls, olives and pickles. Pineapple upside down cake for dessert. Nothing much really.
The kids have outgrown the egg hunts so no more getting up early to hide eggs! I do miss it though. I wish I were closer to my grandson so I could hide eggs for him. Maybe one year I will be lucky enough to be home for Easter to do that for him.

What are your Easter traditions? Do you do anything special? Have certain foods?

I have decided to add a 4shared link each day for those who may still want to download from there. For those of you that prefer not to, there is a Mediafire link for you. Take your pick!
Now, without further ado, here is today's postcard:


Link has been removed

Well, I am off to get some more work done and enjoy the sunshine we are getting today!
Thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful Friday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you! We don't really have a traditional dinner, but I usually do a ham and scalloped potatoes. I still do a little Easter basket for my kids, even though they are 19 and 17 now, lol!