Monday, January 12, 2009

Day 12

Well, today we got to walk on the ice at Kinderdijk! :o) This is the area where there are a bunch of windmills all in one small area. The ice has frozen enough so you can skate on it now! How long it will last is anyone's guess!

Supposedly, Saturday (2 days ago) and today, they are holding the "molentocht" (literally translated - windmill race). I am not sure how long it is. Hubby told me but I forgot! The skaters race around the area as well as further on. These races are going on all over Holland as the ice is frozen everywhere! I guess it has been quite a number of years since this happened. I believe hubby said the last time they had the molentocht was 12 years ago! You can see why they all go crazy when this happens! Plus, you just never know how long the cold will stay and the ice will hold up.

Anyway, I took a lot of photos although I have to admit, not as many as I normally do! I did use a few to make some postcards though so you all can share in a bit of history here in Holland! Today I have one of those postcards for you. The preview is much smaller than the actual postcard!


Link has been removed

I will be back tomorrow with another postcard from the ice and Kinderdijk!
Happy Monday everyone!

4 comments:

suzanne said...

"Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates" a favorite book from my Childhood. TYVM!

Aleah'sMommy said...

Thank you so much this is another gorgeous post card! I cant wait to use these!

Anonymous said...

This postcard is just gorgeous.....hubby, who originally comes from Holland remembers these days as a child and I think it brought a tear to his eye. He wants to use it as wallpaper on his laptop.

Sherry Out Loud said...

Did you put some kind of effect on that picture? It is just amazing! It looks like something from the nature channel! I can't imagine actually taking pics like that. But you didn't fall on your butt on the ice, I guess? LOL!