Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Jan 27 - More Notre Dame

Hello again!
Today, I have another view of Notre Dame. This is on the Seine side. You always see the front but how often do you get to see the back or sides of Notre Dame? Other than the sculptures on the front, I personally find the back and sides so much more interesting! The look is so gothic, I think. I really think it is such a beautiful building.
Why is it that buildings built so long ago seem to hold up so much better than buildings built today?


Link has been removed

Aleah'sMom - Those vampire books sound cool! We recently got the show Moonlight, about vampires and we love it! The States probably had it 2 years ago! lol If your books are anything like the show, I bet they are great reading!

Sherry - I used to download books to listen to but I just don't enjoy them as much that way. When I read, I tend to get lost in the story and usually have to be physically shaken to get my attention when I am reading! lol When I listen to books, I can't get into them like that and I have a hard time following them.
I'm so glad to hear you can enjoy books in this way though since your CFS started. I can't imagine not being able to read, one way or another!

Today I just took it easy! Catching up on laundry and watching shows we recorded but just haven't had time to watch! I think I still need another lazy day though. Thank goodness I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow!

Question for today: Do you buy new books or used?
My preference: used because they are so much cheaper! It's the same book as a new one, you read it once (maybe twice) and then it sits on a shelf or goes to a used book store, garage sale, etc. I would rather have 5 used books than 1 new one! How about you? What is your preference?

That's it for today! Thanks for stopping by!
See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Sherry Out Loud said...

Gawjus picture again!

I forgot to tell you yesterday what I'm reading - it's called Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon. It's nonfiction, about a man who drove his truck, camper attached, in a circle around America, basically along the borders, along "blue highways." Blue highways are the small roads, apparently coded in blue on maps, taking you through an earlier version of life far in the US, off the interstates. It was written almost 30 years ago, and it's amazing how many cultural differences there are today. It's wonderfully written and very interesting. It's not a book that would usually interest me much, but it was my stepfather's favorite book, so I thought I'd read it for that reason. I am certainly enjoying it!

As far as buying books, I totally agree with you that used is definitely better than new, but best of all for me is the library! I could not afford my reading habit if I had to buy the books, but the library is about 2 miles from our house. We have an amazing library system, and we can even order books to be delivered to our house, which we do quite frequently. They also give us the ability to download books on tape that are many of them the current hot books, although you still have to "check them out," even though it's digitally, and you have to delete them after the 21-day checkout period.

Forgive my uninformedness, but is it too cost-prohibitive to mail books to you? I have so many paperbacks that I could either send, or trade at the trading bookstore for something you might like better - my dad sends me the books he's already read, and a lot of them aren't along my normal tastes in reading. Let me know!

Aleah'sMommy said...

I completely agree! I would rather have a used book, its cheaper & the binding isnt so tough you have to force it open lol. Thank you for todays post card =)