Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 21

Hey, I am actually posting on time today! :o)

This cold is really dragging me down so I just sat on the computer today and looked at sites for square foot gardening. I have a 300 sq meter garden and last year, due to being sick, I ended up with a lot of weeds. Sometimes, 300 sq m just feels like too much for one person by hand so I am looking to make it more manageable yet still get a good yield out of it. Does anyone else do square foot gardening? If so, I would love to hear from you!

Last year was my first time trying a potato patch in the garden. I just had 3 small rows with a total of 30 eye potatoes I bought from the garden shop. I was so impressed with how well they did I am definitely going to have a bigger potato area this year! I am also planning on trying to grow potatoes in a water barrel, a small round barrel I had near the old pond, and also a spot or two in the square foot garden to see how well that works as well. Some things I read say you can get a big yield and others say not as good as you read about. I can only try it and see what works for me, right?
I am definitely going to be planting Nicola again. Last year, with just 30 plants, I had enough to last through Oct plus give a bunch to the in-laws and some friends as well!
I am not sure what they would be called in America. They are kind of like a Russet but smaller and not as hard. They cook much quicker than a Russet potato.
I am hoping to get hold of some red potatoes as well. I just love them small and fresh out of the ground!

Anyway, just sitting here all day, surfing and reading, felt good for a change. It's been a long time since I have done that. One of the perks of giving up designing for awhile, I guess! :o)

Ok, on to today's postcard. I doubt I have to tell you all this is the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France. This is one of my favorite photos of it, with the trees framing it. Impossible to get a photo without people or cars though. I have been to Paris 3 times now and never have I seen the city not filled with both! I did manage to catch it without too much of either one this time but they are still there nonetheless.
When you download the actual size postcard, be sure to look on the roof of the Arc! You can see people up there waving! You can go to the top but it isn't cheap!

I have a ton of photos from Paris so I will start making postcards from there. Give you a virtual tour of Paris for those of you that have never been there. Hmmm, maybe not a virtual tour! We were only there for one night this last time when my Dad came last year so I have the high spots anyway! :o)
Here is today's postcard: (preview is clickable and will open a new window for you!)

Link has been removed


Well, that's all for now!
Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 20 Jan [LA 08:50pm, NY 11:50pm] - 21 Jan [UK 04:50am, OZ 03:50pm] ).

Aleah'sMommy said...

Thanks hun! I am so looking forward to the "postcard tour" of France. I fell kinda shltered as I have only been to a few of the states in the US(mostly for medical reasons) & have never been out of the country. So once again thank you so very much. Its like going on vaca without leaving the house lol.

Sherry Out Loud said...

Okay, I vote for Paris for sure - this is so beautiful! Paris is probably our top travel dream - David has been, and he wants to take me too.

Hey, did you watch the inauguration? Pretty amazing stuff!